I recently started using the Apple Magic Keyboard with my docking station, meaning I’m using it for both my MacBook Pro and my Dell XPS 13. All was fine until I accidentally toggled the keyboard into insert mode in Windows 10. Insert mode overwrites characters if you move the cursor earlier in the sentence to make an edit.
To disable insert mode on Windows 10 using the Apple Magic Keyboard
- Press clear, above the 7 on the numeric keypad.
- Then press 0 (zero) on the numeric keypad.
Using an Apple Magic Keyboard without a numeric keypad? Try this.
- Press Fn – I at the same time.
I don’t have one to test on, so comment to let me know if this works.
Another option to disable insert mode
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Search for On-Screen Keyboard app and open it.
- Click the insert key on the virtual keyboard.