June 2-8, 2013 I’ll be riding 545-miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles in AIDS/LifeCycle. These are some of the reasons I’m participating in this important cause.
In memory of Uncle Doug
Uncle Doug was my mom’s brother. I was only 10 years old when Doug passed away of AIDS-related complications in 1986. I remember when I was younger when Doug and his partner would come to visit for Christmas.
I remember my family telling people Doug died of cancer, because of the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS in the 80’s. Growing up my mom and my grandma would often say I reminded them of Doug.
I can’t tell you how much I would have enjoyed getting to know my uncle, who left this world too soon at age 31.
Douglas Eugene Wallace Obituary
Friends and acquaintances
I have several friends, colleagues, and family who are directly or indirectly affected by HIV/AIDS. I hope doing this ride will positively impact them by educating others and raising awareness in the general public of HIV/AIDS.
I also know a number of uninsured people suffering a wide range of serious medical conditions who can’t afford the health care they need. Through the fundraising portion of this effort, I hope to help many less-fortunate people receive medical care they need. I’ve seen first-hand the impact not having health insurance can have on one’s life.
There’s always the personal challenge of a 545-mile, 7-day bike ride, but compared to what someone affected by HIV/AIDS or any other serious health condition may go through, the ride should be a piece of cake. That and I am a little bike crazy. I love bikes, but have never previously attempting a multi-day ride, sleeping in tents along the way. Cross your fingers for me! I know I’ll be in good hands. 😉
Support those who can’t afford care by donating to AIDS/LifeCycle
Recent AIDSLifeCycle Posts
- AIDS/LifeCycle (ALC) 2013 – the experience & a recap of the ride June 26, 2013
- Powerful, influential moments during AIDS/LifeCycle 2013 June 19, 2013
- Back in Kansas City — AIDS/LifeCycle ALC 2013 Recap Coming Soon June 16, 2013
- Day Seven: Ventura to Los Angeles – AIDS/LifeCycle June 8, 2013
- Day Six: Lompoc to Ventura – AIDS/LifeCycle June 7, 2013
- Day Five: Santa Maria to Lompoc – AIDS/LifeCycle June 6, 2013
- Day Four: Paso Robles to Santa Maria – AIDS/LifeCycle June 5, 2013
- Day Three: King City to Paso Robles – AIDS/LifeCycle June 4, 2013
- Day Two: Santa Cruz to King City – AIDS/LifeCycle June 3, 2013
- Day One: San Francisco to Santa Cruz – AIDS/LifeCycle June 2, 2013